Mio Alpha Review: Why the Mio Alpha Heart Rate Monitor Liberated Thousands From The Strap!
Our Mio Alpha review found this heart monitor to be a popular watch for many reasons but mostly because it provides the same level of accuracy as a chest strap monitor, without the cumbersome chest strap. The data provided is continuous and you get alerted if you are out of your ideal zone. Mio Alpha reviews from customers are overall good with a rating of 4 out of 5, however, there are some negatives too.
This is the first strapless heart rate monitor with continuous heart rate monitoring that seriously competes with the chest strap variety of heart monitors and provides accurate EKG data. Many people have ditched their strap heart rate monitors for the Mio sport watch.
The [popup_product]Mio Alpha continuous heart rate monitor[/popup_product] gives you the readings you need without touch sensors, you simply strap it to your wrist and you are good to go. This strapless heart rate monitor is award winning with rave reviews from not only customers, but also health and fitness professionals. It has received great reviews in the media too.
Many people use heart rate monitors with chest straps simply to get a continuous heart rate reading while exercising. The chest strap is often uncomfortable. It moves during exercise and absorbs sweat, which can be unpleasant after a couple of workouts. At the end of the day, you want to concentrate on your exercise, not trying to keep the chest strap in place, or relieving the discomfort around your chest. Most people hate chest straps but continue to use them because they believe the strapless watches do not offer the same level of accuracy.
While this used to be true, it is no longer the case. Improvements in technology have brought advanced, accurate and reliable heart rate monitors without the dreaded chest strap. The Mio Alpha is a scientific breakthrough in fitness technology.
Mio Alpha comes in black, white, and Indigo.
Let’s take a look at the Mio Alpha Watch Features:
• Mio Alpha Continuous heart rate monitor: monitors heart rate continuously and displays accurate data
• No chest strap
• Long battery life
• Customizable settings for your personal heart rate zone: Visual and audible alerts make sure that you remain in your zone to get the best out of your workout.
• Bluetooth® Smart (4.0) wireless connection: using Bluetooth, you can connect to Mio Alpha compatible devices for additional data such as speed, distance, GPS, and pace.
• Data overview showing average heart rate, the time spent in the optimal zone and the total time spent exercising.
• Alpha Mio battery: long battery life using rechargeable lithium battery
• Mio Alpha is waterproof: it is water resistant to 30 meters
• Connects to iPhone and Android fitness apps
• EKG accurate in performance tests
• Fits 145-198mm wrist size
Alpha Mio Design
The Alpha Mio strapless heart rate monitor looks good, and is not bulky. It has a black strap made of silicon with a smooth bezel. It is lightweight and looks equally good on men and women. It is available in classic white, black and indigo blue to match any sports outfit.
It comes with a charging dock which you can plug straight into a USB socket to store and analyse your data. It is water resistant up to 30 metres, which is really useful for swimmers, or those who tend to forget to take off their watch in the shower. The operating buttons are nicely hidden on the side of the bezel, so it doesn’t catch on clothing.
The Mio Alpha watch uses optical receptors to calculate the heart rate from the wrist, a technique used in medical technology. It displays your heart rate and alerts you if you are outside your personal customized zone.
The Mio Alpha heart rate monitor watch is designed with the core functionality of showing the heart rate continuously, without an app or chest strap.
If users want additional functions and features like GPS data and speed, calories burned, distance etc, then they would have to get that from third party apps via a smartphone.
Unfortunately, the Alpha Mio watch does not store your data, other than the last run statistics. If you want to review more data, you are required to transfer that data to a fitness app in real time so you can review it when required.
Does Mio Alpha work with Android and iPhone?
There are various Mio Alpha compatible apps. Using Bluetooth, you can link your Alpha to your android or iPhone to display a chart of the results using apps like Mio GO, Strava, MapMyRun, Runtastic, Spinning by Digifit, etc.
Is Mio Alpha accurate?
Mio Alpha provides EKG accuracy. It’s accuracy is very close to the chest strap variety of heart rate monitors.
Does Mio Alpha count calories burnt?
Does Mio Alpha track calories? No, unfortunately, it does not. However, you can sync it with your smart phone and use popular calorie counter apps.
Does Mio Alpha have GPS?
Not on the actual device. You have to connect it to a smartphone.
Mio Alpha compatibility
Mio Alpha is compatible with the following iPhone and Android smartphones:
• iPhone® 4s/5/5c/5s/6/6 plus
• iPod® touch 5
• iPad® 3/4/air/mini
• Samsung Galaxy s® 4/5
• Samsung Note® 3
• Google Nexus 4/5
• Android 4.3 (Jelly Bean) and higher with Bluetooth Smart (4.0)
If your phone is not listed or you have tech questions, you will need to contact Mio Global here.
Mio Alpha apps
Mio Alpha compatible apps include Mio GO, Wahoo, Strava, Endomondo and many more with Bluetooth® Smart (4.0)
Mio Alpha Pros
- Long battery life, up to 20 hours workout mode and up to 2 months without the heart monitoring on.
- Provides EKG accurate data to the level of accuracy of a chest strap monitor, minus the chest strap.
- Continuous reading, with a light indicator to show you if you are in your target zone.
- Audio alerts when you are out of your ideal zone.
- Comfortable and light weight .
- Easy to use and reliable.
- It has a watch function and can be used as a normal watch, if you don’t mind the size.
- Finds your heart rate very quickly.
Mio Alpha Cons
- No storage, you have to sync with smartphone apps to chart your data.
- No backlight, so you will only see the LED zone indicator and not the readings. This can be a problem if you run at night, although you can still rely on the audio alerts to make sure you remain in your optimum zone.
- Some reports say that the readings can be unreliable with intense activities where the arm is moving a lot. It may be more suited for activities like running, jogging and cycling rather than fast paced exercise classes, fast paced swimming and intense workouts where there is a lot of rapid movement.
- Some apps are better suited than others, so you may need to try a few.
Where to buy Mio Alpha at the best price
You can buy Mio Alpha online at various websites including the best and most trusted online retailer, Amazon. Amazon offers competitive prices, reasonable or free shipping costs, secure ordering and good customer service, which is why they are our retailer of choice. They also deliver practically everywhere.
The Mio Alpha is very reasonably priced for such high performance heart monitoring.
Is Mio Alpha for you?
The Mio Alpha heart rate monitor has been and is still a popular watch despite some mixed reviews. It doesn’t have all the bells and whistles, however, while short on features, this watch does what it is designed to do, primarily to continuously monitor your heart rate and keep you within your desired zone, without having to wear a chest strap. For the additional functions, you will need to take your smartphone with you and use apps.
But if you want more features and functionality within the device like data storage, calorie counter, more customized display, backlight and more tracking, then you can check out our review of the new version, the Mio Alpha 2 here.
Thank you for reading this Mio Alpha review. Please, like or share it, if you found it helpful.